Because you all know just how much I love a good icon set, I’m sending along a new list of icons to get you ready for the holidays. I received all of these either through an email subscription or an RSS feed that I read. So, thanks to Tutorial 9 and SitePoint for making this elf happy. As always, read the licensing and read me files to determine just how you can use these guys.
Fall & Thanksgiving
With this icon pack from Tutorial 9, you get 5 icons in PNG format: leaves, pilgrims, a pumpkin, a tree, and a turkey. Who doesn’t love a goofy turkey that can be repurposed as a Virginia Tech hokie?
Download from: http://www.tutorial9.net/resources/free-icon-pack-november-seasonal-icons/
Christmas Pack 1
This adorable little pack of icons from Chico21 on DeviantArt comes with 8 icons for you to use. They are in PNG format (my favorite!), and you get a Christmas tree, reindeer, stocking with candy cane, chicken and hen (always a holiday necessity), Santa mouse, Mama and baby bears, and a present.
Download from http://chicho21net.deviantart.com/art/Christmas-Dock-Icons-72393843
Christmas Pack 2
Twenty icons this time from the “Real Christmas 2005” pack. These are from Enchanted Labs and come in 3 flavors — no, not cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla — Mac, Windows, and PNG. If you would like to use these in your system icons, then feel free to use the Mac or Windows options. But as I always suggest, download the PNGs for the most flexibility in your development projects.
Download from http://enhancedlabs.com/index.php/labnotes/comments/the_real_christmas_05_reloaded/
These are my Jumptags for November 5th
- Joker Typography by ~underpk on deviantART – Image of Joker created with the word Joker.
- Typographic Beer Directions by ~Smooth-as-Sandpaper on deviantART – Type used to create image of beer.
- 7Deadlies Typography – Wrath by ~bella-elizabetta on deviantART – Image created completely from the word wrath.
- 32 Beautiful Text Art Creations | Tutorial9 – Text isn't just limited to language, it can be also used to create unique, unusual pieces of art. This roundup features a selection of creative imagery composed entirely with text.
- We are Colorblind » Patterns for the Color Blind – On the site you can find design patterns, good and bad examples, quick tips, and links to various tools. I think the examples section is very good since the accompanying text explains why each example is good or bad.
- Results from WebAIM’s screen October 2009 screen reader user survey | 456 Berea Street – The results from WebAIM’s October 2009 screen reader user survey have been posted. Some results are expected while others can be a bit surprising.
- A List Apart: Articles: You Can Get There From Here: Websites for Learners – Most websites are not learner-friendly. Web creators might aim for beautiful, accessible, usable interfaces to house their smart, web-native content, but they don’t often have learners’ goals or needs in mind—if they even know what those needs are.
- Beyond Grunge: Dutch Designer Wins €10,000 for a Font Grown From E-Coli | Design & Innovation | Fast Company – Jelte van Abbema Last week, Jelte van Abbema won the Dutch Design Awards' €10,000 Rado Prize, which goes to a promising young designer. One work that caught the judges' attention is Symbiosis, a font printed in bacteria.
- Elements Of Design: Shape – SitePoint Blogs: News, opinion, and fresh thinking for web developers and designers
These are my Jumptags for November 4th through November 5th:
- 20 Merry Icon Sets For Christmas – Icon sets for Christmas and holidays.
- Elements of Design: Type – Type is a fundamental part of any design it appears in. It can be used as text to read, as a shape and as a visual element where the choice of typeface conveys an emotion or mood. Type, when used well doesn’t need a photograph or illustration to back…
- Showcase of Big, Bold Typography – Big, bold typography can be very powerful for conveying a message or just for achieving a desired look. In this post we'll showcase more than 25 items that feature big, bold typography. To see more work from a particular artist/designer, click on the…
- 4 Principles of Good Design for Websites – One of the areas of focus that I’ve taken into all my designs are the four major design principles. They include: contrast, repetition, alignment, and proximity.
- 6 Ways To Take Your Webdesign From Good To Great – In a previous article I went into detail about the important roles that contrast, repetition, alignment and proximity play in webdesign. This article will piggy back on those principles as I examine 6 ways you can take your webdesign from good to gre…
These are my Jumptags for October 7th through October 8th: