Image from http://www.dawghousedesignstudio.comLast week, I spoke with students at Clemson University in their graphic communications program about HTML and CSS, content management systems, and how to combine mediums for publishing.  Yesterday, in one of my feeds this video was brought to my attention.  It’s incredibly clever. Apparently, the video was created by Penguin Group for a sales conference and it sort of exploded from there, as mentioned in at paidcontent.org.  At Penguin Group’s blog, though, they explain the inspiration, idea, treatment, and development process, following “The Lost Generation” video.

Disclaimer:  This video was produced by publishers PenguinGroup USA and DK in the UK.

I encourage you to watch the whole thing.  Don’t stop half-way through.  If you do you’ll be disappointed. This video is very thought-provoking and it’s in the vein of Michael Wesch‘s viral The Machine is Us/Using Us.  I can see this video as a sort of mantra or battle cry for publishing as printers and publishers consider digital technologies and the individuals that rely on them.

So, take this video with awe and a grain of wisdom for recognizing it as a small piece of propaganda, too. Enjoy!  Hey, but let me know what you think about the video.  Leave your comments below.  I’d love to heard from you guys!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weq_sHxghcg[/youtube]

11 Thoughts on “Publishing has changed … or not so much?

1. Very clever and good video. The truth!

2. Erica Conrad on April 12, 2010 at 2:49 pm said:

Wow! That was an amazing way of flipping the way that a person views information. I was wondering were it was going and I taught a teenager was making this video. When it went in reverse, it was amazing how it still made sense. Great job to the publisher!

3. Laura Robinson on April 12, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

I thought this video was amazing! When it was first starting I thought to myself “what a shallow person”. After seeing this video it became clear that messages can mean two different things depending on how you read them.

4. Emily on April 12, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

I thought this video was very catchy and told the truth!

5. Nitu A. on April 12, 2010 at 2:57 pm said:

The video was wonderful; I’m so glad I had the opportunity to watch it! As the first part of the video progressed I kept thinking “What? No way! Who made this crazy video? I do not want my students watching this as it might have an influence on the way they think about books!” Half away through the video however, when things started rolling the right way (literally) I watched in awe as it all began to make sense! I think what Gandhi did last century was phenomenal, and I seriously could not care less about what Lady Gaga is wearing! 😉

Fantastic job!

6. Lauren Carter on April 12, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

When this video began, I thought it was awful. I love reading books, and I love having books in my hand. I’m a person that likes to underline things that catch my eye, so when I go back later to pick it up- I’ll know what I thought was important before. Once the video starting rolling the right way, then I was impressed. That’s the way students should be thinking. Lady GaGa should not be more important than our history, than our science, than our literature.

7. Lucy Ford on April 12, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

I think this message is true when it is read both backward and forward. The message definitely is directed to two audiences. I believe there are people in our society that rely strictly on technology such as FaceBook, emails in order to effectively communicate. On the other hand, there are others in our society that believe too much emphasis are put on technology such as mobile phones, Myspace and texting which are causing an entire generation to become non- book readers,poor spellers and irresponsible drivers on the highways .

8. Deena Verner-Weathers on April 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm said:

I think the message backwards is very meaningful. However, it displays the ideas of only some of the students. I believe that the message forwards is geared toward a bigger audience. This is strictly my opinion, but seeing the students of today’s society, I show that they are only concerned with what is on television and what is popular in school. The average students are not interested in books nor what they can learn from school. I believe what this statement is saying in more than one word is teachers have a great responsibility to gear the students in the right direction. It is up to us to take the road of learning to a higher level.

9. Theresa on April 12, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

Really enjoyed this. I was thinking “What?” who says this kind of stuff at first. Then when it replayed from the end it all made better since then but is was still cool to see how that could be interpreted in two totally different ways.

10. Brenda on April 12, 2010 at 3:15 pm said:

I really like the video begins new meaning to texting

11. Ta'Juanna Smith on April 12, 2010 at 3:15 pm said:

I think this video was very creative. I loved how the text read one way forward giving the readers one message but read the complete opposite going backwards giving the readers another message. It shows that their are ways to reach different audiences, with the same material.