Official crest of Union University (Trademark ...
Image via Wikipedia

Today, I get to spend the day at Union University with Dr. Anna Clifford’s classes. Anna is always so generous and invites me to come visit with her students and share a little of my knowledge with them. For the past few times, we’ve been concentrating on Google Docs. But I think I’m going to throw in a little Wordle this time, too.

Below are the links and resources we’ll be using from my Resource Wiki hosted at PBWorks.

1. Using Google Docs word processor
  2. Using Google Docs presentations
  3. Using Google Docs spreadsheet
  4. Creating forms and quizzes with Google Docs forms

And hopefully, we’ll have time to do a little Wordle, too, to see how we might use Wordle during class.

15 Thoughts on “Visiting Union and Doin' Some Googlin'

1. I think Google Docs and other collaboration software are wonderful resources for classrooms and lecture halls alike. There is no better way to communicate with students! Meet students where they are and use technology (something they already like) as a means of helping them learn.

2. Evie (UU) on March 11, 2010 at 1:29 pm said:

I learned so much today! I loved learning how to make a google presentation. Everything was very helpful, clear and understandable. And, I think I speak for everyone when I say that it was very fun!
    Thanks again!

3. Elissa W. (UU) on March 11, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

Thank you for coming to teach us some new things today! I can definitely tell that I will be using Google Docs in the future. It is so user friendly. The Wordle site is also something that I am going to use. I have seen posters like that before and wanted to make them for myself, but I had no idea how to do so. So thanks for the tip! And yes, I agree with Evie, that today was fun. Thanks so much for coming!
    -Elissa W. (UU)

4. Dr. Grant,
    Thanks so much for coming! Lots of good stuff…including intro to some Google tools and P-12 classroom applications! I was very pleased with the students active participation, as well. They have so much potential and they are well on the way to becoming excellent teachers!
    I think we are ready to take the next step! Yeah!

5. Lily C. (UU) on March 12, 2010 at 12:35 pm said:

Thanks so much for coming the other day to teach us more about these different programs. I have had a little bit of experience with Google docs, but I never realized it’s potential to be used in a classroom setting. I learned so much about how to incorporate these activities into the classroom and how to get students more engaged in the activities. I will definitely be using these programs in the future! Thanks so much!

6. Emily (UU) on March 12, 2010 at 1:22 pm said:

Thank you for taking your time out to come and teach about the different google programs. I did not make a google account until a couple of days before you came, so everything was new to me. I like the layout of the iGoogle page and how it is all organized. I like that youtube videos can be uploaded on a powerpoint. I will definitely use the document, presentation, and spreadsheet on there. I will especially use the Wordle. It is really neat! I am glad that you showed us how to use iGoogle because I might have never found out about this program if you did not show us. Thank you again!

7. Rebecca (UU) on March 13, 2010 at 12:56 pm said:

First of all, we are very thankful that you were willing to spend some time in our classroom on Thursday. I know we each learned many new things. The technique of both showing us what you were talking about on the screen and giving us the opportunity to work through the processes on our own was efficient. Today I will make a Google Presentation to present to my church. The things you taught us are going to be applicable our classrooms as well as every day activities. Again, thank you for spending your time helping to make us better as teachers.

8. Luke A. (UU) on March 13, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

Thank you so much for coming and teaching our class on Thursday! I started using Google calendar a couple weeks ago and love it, but I had no idea about Google documents and applications. They are great tools and I am excited about getting to figure out and use them more. I’m appreciative that you gave us an adequate amount of time on each item, but were still able to cover so many. Thanks again!

9. Thanks so much for coming and sharing your insight! I learned alot of really neat and helpful things that i hope to put into practice in my future classroom. I really didnt know there was so much stuff offered by google and am very happy to have gotten insight into just a few of the things it has!
    Thanks again!!!

10. Hannah M. (UU) on March 14, 2010 at 6:19 pm said:

Thank you for coming to speak to our class on Thursday. I really enjoyed seeing many of the ways that Google can be used. I told my mom about the sharing of Google Documents and she already has found a way she can use it. Thank you, also, for you insight into the classroom. It has made me more aware of how intentional I need to be with every part of every activity I give my students. Thank you, again, for you time. May God bless you as you continue to help change the lives of students.

11. Kate(UU) on March 15, 2010 at 1:32 pm said:

I learned so much from this session. I had no clue about all the effective uses of technology we can access. I really thought Wordle was very interesting along with all the other tools in Google. Thank you so much for coming to our class and sharing with us!

12. D.Copley on March 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm said:

Thank you for taking the time to come speak to our class. I found the information you presented yus with to be very informative. I had no idea Google had so many tools and applications that could be beneficial in a classroom setting. I had always thought Goodle was just a search engine and had never heard of Wordle until your presentation. Thanks again.

13. Victoria S. (UU) on March 16, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

I was unable to attend your session due to work scheduling, but a friend recorded it for me and I was able to watch it this week and spend some time exploring google. While I knew google had some interesting tools to offer prior to your session, I was unaware at the extent of these tools and their numerous possibilities. I’m really loving igoogle; it’s nice to have everything in one place. Google docs, forms, and spreadsheets will prove invaluable in my future classroom. I think Wordle and I might be new best friends =) Thank you for introducing us. Thank you for taking your time to share with us. I benefited greatly, even from a distance.

14. CjBeffa (UU) on March 16, 2010 at 9:05 pm said:

Dr. Grant,
    It was wonderful to hear you speak about practical ways to use these new tools in our own classrooms one day. I can definitely see how students would enjoy learning through the means of Google Docs, Forms, and Spreadsheets. Wordle was also very enjoyable and user friendly! I’m excited to research and come up with new possibilities for lesson plans. I look forward to reading and hearing about other new tools you discover through your blog! Thanks for sharing with us! I really enjoyed it!

15. Thank you all for dropping by and leaving your thoughtful and gracious comments. I enjoyed getting to work with all of you. You all are so blessed and lucky to have Dr. Clifford as a teacher. She is a wonderful asset to education and teacher education.