I told you I would share some icon sets that I really love.  As a quick reminder, I only do free.  So all of these are free downloads.  Today, we’re starting with animals.  Lots of fur and feathers.  Here’s a few sets that I think are super well done and are super easy to use.  These will work in Word, Powerpoint, or on the Web.  Two of these come with the original files, so you can edit them into what you need.  Go on and download.  Nobody’s watching.

Cute Critters

cute-critters These adorable animals are “painfully cute” as described on the release.  A little heavy on the anime, all of these guys have caricatured features.  So something’s a little larger than everything else.  They are indeed cute, and they well done.  The set comes with two versions of each critter—one with the graduated single color background and one with a transparent background. They can be used in commercial and personal project without attribution, but that’s just not nice.  So go ahead and tell everybody where you got them from.

Available from Tutorial9.com

Birds 1

cute-twittersThese cute little birds are one set of friends that could be used with Twitter or stand alone.  They are really friendly and round, so they would be great with K-12 kids, teachers, or even with newsletters.  There are a total of 8 images, even though only 5 are in the image at the right.  With these icons, you’re going to get the vector Illustrator (.ai) file for editing, along with EPS files.  So, these certainly have the potential to be used with print materials.  You also get the PNG files in three sizes (128, 256, & 512).  So they could be used as dominate images on slides or a web page.

Available from Mirkku

Birds 2

twitter_badge_5I used a screen capture of these Twitter birds in my last post on icons.  But I thought I would go ahead and given you a heads up on the full set.  There are 5 different birds with this set, and they each have fun names, like Roger, Nola, and Squidge.  For each character, you’re going to get your money’s worth, though.  You’ll get a Twitter badge, like the one to the right  You’ll get icons (PNGs) at a couple of different sizes.  You’ll be getting larger images, just silhouettes, and Photoshop (.psd) files for each character.  There’s 40 images in all.  So, this is well worth the download.  Because these birds are all whimsical, these are fun to use with less-than-serious topics, and they have really nice unity among the images to be used across design project.  The colors are a little muted, and there is a range of different colors.  So, lots of possibilities and play in the color schemes that could be used.  Plus, the licensing on these is pretty wide open, too.  A link back is appreciated but not required.

Available from Function Web Design

That’s it for today.  Three fun, cute, and furry or feather sets of icons for you to download and put to good —or no good— use.  Do you have some icons that you like?  Let me know what you like and where to get ’em down in the comments.

8 Thoughts on “Icons I love. Fur and feathers.

1. Cassie (UUG) on September 27, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

I really enjoyed reading this page because I found the information useful. As an educator, I am trying to incorporate more lessons that involve technology. Therefore, I am creating Power Point presentations that my class can view. I would like to incorporate these icons because they are cute. Also, you mentioned that these icons were fun. I believe that my students would enjoy seeing these types of icons on my Power Point slides, especially during Social Studies class. I liked that these icons were free. In my graduate class, we have been studying copyright laws. Therefore, I have been cautious about the material I get from the internet. I liked that you provided free icons that can be incorporated into several presentations.

2. KGriffin (UUG) on September 28, 2009 at 8:28 pm said:

I agree with Cassie that these icons are quite endearing and eye-catching. Since I just read the artcle on making a good Powerpoint presentation, I can see how the eye would be drawn to icons if used or placed properly. I think I will enjoy experimenting with them (especially since they are free) in some of my own presentations at school. I’m not “into” twittering yet, but who knows?

3. Abaldwin on November 5, 2009 at 7:05 am said:

As a future educator, these icons are exciting to me. Students are always struggling to pay attention at times and it’s my job as an educator to try and prevent that from happening as much as possible. These icons are not only cute but attention holding and warrent a attentive response for a few seconds. Thank you for sharing them. I know I will consider using them in my next lecture to students.

4. Mitzi (UU) on November 5, 2009 at 7:06 am said:

This post was interesting to me. It is often difficult to find good icons to include in presentations and projects. These icons are indeed well created and look fun and professional at the same time. I am looking forward to using these links and others I may discover through using these in the future!

5. Emily (UU) on November 5, 2009 at 7:13 am said:

This is so fun! As a teacher, I’m constantly looking through ClipArt for creative images to post on handouts, take home notes, and such. I love the vivid colors in these icons. This would be fabulous to use in presentations in class. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

6. Kat White on November 5, 2009 at 11:04 am said:

Mr. Grant,
    I am the type of person that always is looking for new and creative things to do with technology. As a future educator I can definitly see myself usng these icons in my classroom. I want to be able to create a presentation and have my students plugged in at the very start of it. I think that these icons are just the ticket. I love the fact that right off the bat they catch your eye and I even found myself curious of what they could do and what they were. I am not on Twitter, but if I was doing a presentation about I would use the cute little birds. I look forward to playing around with these icons a bit more in the futrue.

7. It’s interesting that several comments were made about not using twitter [yet]. It seems like younger genrations catch on to a trend and then later genrations. This was seen with facebook too. It began a college age network system, then younger generations started using it, then older. I think the same trend is happening with twitter. Right now it might not seem huge, but the younger generations are catching on. If educators can use these icons that associate twitter, it might just grab attention from students, and maybe even gain social respect for being a part of this genrations networking communcation.

8. Pingback: Viral Notebook » More great icon sets!